Arts and Dementia
July 18, 2018
This full day masterclass is aimed at anyone who has an interest in arts and dementia. We welcome both experienced artists and people with no previous experience of working directly in this field.
By the end of the day participants will have developed:
- An enhanced understanding of dementia
- An understanding of person-centred and relationship-centred care, and the ability to apply these to their own arts practice
- An understanding of the potential benefits of using the arts with people living with dementia
- Increased awareness of a range of arts approaches which have proved successful with people with dementia
- An understanding of the creative potential of working with people living with dementia and their carers
- An understanding of the particular challenges of working with people living with dementia, and a set of creative approaches to overcome these
- An understanding of the challenges of working in a care home setting, and guidelines to make this process run more smoothly
- Confidence in their ability to run creative workshops with people living with dementia, in both care homes and other settings.
This course is aimed at artists, theatre facilitators, project managers, activities coordinators and older people service providers. It’s for anyone looking to find new ways of working with older people, and those with some experience who are looking for practical tips and a refreshed approach.
This full-day course will use a mix of formal presentations, practical exercises and facilitated discussion.
Trainer: Mandy Redvers-Rowe
Mandy’s career as a lecturer, writer and performer both regionally and nationally spans 25 years. For five years she acted as Artistic Director of North West Disability Arts Forum (now DADA) and spent many years as a lecturer in Community Theatre practice at both Liverpool Institute for the Performing Arts and Liverpool Hope University. Her written work has been produced by the Royal Exchange (Manchester), BBC Radio, Graeae, Paines Plough and BBC Television. Mandy has led Collective Encounters’ Creative Ageing programme since 2012.
Price (excluding booking fee)
Individual freelance practitioners and students: £80
Representatives from private sector organisations, Arts Council National Portfolio Organisations, HE, FE and Local Authorities: £105
For more information, or if you have difficulty with the fees please call us on 0151 345 6266
Date(s) - 18/07/2018
10:00 am - 4:00 pm