Collective Encounters is committed to the development of the wider field of Theatre for Social Change. The aim of our research activity is to:
- Identify new ways in which theatre can be used as a tool for social change through the exploration of other people’s work nationally & internationally
- Evaluate and disseminate our own theatre for social change practices and approaches nationally & internationally
- Develop the capacity of others to deliver theatre for social change projects and research
- Build a body of evidence that demonstrates the benefits of the arts to individuals and society
In 2016, Collective Encounters curated its first International Theatre & Social Change Conference in Liverpool.
Through research trips we look to identify, observe and make partnerships with theatre for social change providers nationally and internationally. Recent research trips include:
- An observation of arts practice within the dementia care village of Hoegway, The Netherlands.
- A Churchill Memorial Trust funded research trip exploring youth arts engagement practice in Latin America.
- A research trip to the biannual International Community Arts Festival in Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- A research trip exploring arts practice with older people to Formaat Theatre & Rotterdam Wijkstheater
- A research and exchange sharing storytelling and community arts practices with Västerbottensteatern, Sweden
We are deeply committed to disseminating and sharing our practice, and endeavour to present our work nationally and internationally and contribute to debates. We have recently presented our work at the following events:
- Performance, Politics & Protect Finale, UCC, Cork, Ireland
- Arts Development UK National Conference, Norwich
- Managing Arts Projects with Societal Impact, Estonia
- Backstage Me?, Royal Exchange Theatre, Manchester
- Participation & Engagement in the Arts, Utrecht University,
- The Netherlands Coming of Age, Manchester
- The Society for the Arts in Dementia Care Conference, Ontario, Canada
- University Network of the European Capitals of Culture 6thAnnual conference, Slovenia
- International Creative Expression Communication and Dementia conference, Burlington, Canada
- Performing the World Conference, New York
- Regional Arts Australia Annual Conference, Australia